Friday, July 17, 2009



The ABVD Experience and Good News!


Last Wednesday was the day of my 5th ABVD infusion. Yes, adriamycin, bleomycin, vinblastine and dacarbazine have become new friends. You folks remember my first blog post concerning those toxic chemicals. If you missed it, click on the link below and scroll down to the posting of May 21, 2009.
http://jimmeads.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html


Many of you have requested information on the procedures one goes through in the chemotherapy experience. Here was our day during my 5th infusion. I can not emphasize enough the efficiency, caring, and friendliness of Dr. Craig's team. I use the term "team" in the truest sense of the word.


First, let us discuss the facilities. The Cancer Center is still under construction in terms of outfitting and decorating rooms. The physicians' offices, waiting rooms, and labs are on the first floor along with a library that has cancer related material available to all patients and care givers. The infusion area is on the second floor. Each patient has his/her private cubicle with IV equipment, reclining lounge chair, pillow, TV, extra chair for a caregiver, and even warm blankets when requested. They also have cold drinks, coffee and tea, and snacks at a couple of stations.


The CAT/PET scan area is located in the basement. A new PET scan machine has been added and is now in operation.


OK, now on to the activities that were involved this day during infusion #5.


We arrived at the Center at 11:00 A.M. This wonderful lady below always greets us with a smile as we enter the revolving door of the Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center. She gives us our high tech pager (Much like the ones you get in a restaurant that will buzz when your table is ready.) Her fuzzy photo is the result of this master photographer not using the flash!






Less that 5 minutes later, the pager buzzes and a nice lady greets me at the reception desk and and walks me several meters to the laboratory's waiting area. (Yes, I know where it is located, but once again this is just one part of the very efficient patient-centered services.)

After weighing in (gaining weight again!) and being asked my height (5 feet and 8 inches - the same as before), I was taken to a private area where I was greeted by this fine lady below. She took temperature and blood pressure.



It was Christy's turn to prepare me for the infusion. She updated my medication list and checked on accuracy of my other medical data. It was time to place the IV in my arm. I have been having no problem thus far with issues of vein hardening or collapse. Hope I can continue the IV in vein approach instead of going to a port or picc line ( peripherally inserted central catheter).



Once the IV is in place, a blood sample is drawn and sent to the lab for processing quickly so they will available to Dr. Craig before we enter his office.




Christy has done a marvelous job. She removed the tournique and I am ready to met Judy back in the waiting room. I relax in a chair beside the good wife and the pager once again goes off within 5 minutes.



Judy and I were greeted in the waiting room by Dr. Craig's EXCEPTIONAL nurse, Pam Foy. She makes me feel uplifted and happy! I am sure that most cancer patients would appreciate being greeted by a medical caregiver such as Pam who said we have good news.



Once in the new private examination room, Dr. Deborah , examined me and took my current medical information. This is another exceptional physician and, by the way, she has a love for a favorite WV natural site - Dolly Sods.



Next , Dr.Craig entered. I explained how well my infusions have been tolerated. No hair loss, no nausea, no sweats/chills, no excessive fatigue, and I was gaining weight. I am certainly one of the lucky ones!


Dr. Craig reported on the good news. On Mat 15, I had a PET scan before my treatments started and then one last Monday as a followup after 2 cyles (4 infusions) of chemotherapy. Judy and I hoped that the second PET scan would show that the tumors were reduced.


As you can see from the photo below, Judy and I are so appreciative of Dr. Craig and his team. The good doctor explained that the tumors were not only reduced, but were GONE! I am now in REMISSION and cancer free at this time. What wonderful news! I have arrived at remission with ony 4 treatments. We are going to complete the six cycles (12 treatments) to kill any traveling cancer cells that could be lurking outside the tumor areas. Remission is the state of absence of disease activity in patients with a chronic illness, with the possibility of return of disease activity. I am certain that I will be monitored throughout the future for a possible return. I think that the percentage of patients in my age group who have a reoccurences of cancer is around 30 percent.


By the way, Dr. Craig indicated that I most likely will not have radiation following chemotherapy. That procedure is conducted only on large tumors.




After the great news from Dr. Craig, we were off to our private infusion area. Kathy is just one of the exceptional nurses on our team. First, I was given tablets to prevent nausea, and an IV saline drip lasting 30 minutes. Kathy started the first infusion of bleomycin. Kathy is the dog lady. She lives with a 65 pound critter that has been having a desire to leave her house while she is at work! Seems her beast loves to jump out the kitchen window and finds window screens no hinderence! Kathy always has an exciting dog adventure to relate.

The total infusion process takes around two hours. During that time, one can watch TV, nap, go to the little boy's room, and also check out the snacks/drinks that are available throughout the infusion area.




Ed Toman, if you are reading do NOT look at the photo below (chuckle). Ed is a friend and cancer survivor who had to deal with the side effects of the chemotheraphy drugs. His least favorite was Adriamycin. He became nauseated at the sight of this red chemical. Adriamycin is very toxic. Patients are given popcicles to eat during infusion to lower mouth temperature which helps reduce sores. Because of the toxicity of the drug, a nurse pushes the injection gently into the IV rather than letting the drug drip slowly through the IV. While pushing the chemical, the nurse can check to see if the drug is entering the vein and not the subcutaneous layers.


You can see below that Beth is expertly administering the Adriamycin to an "elderly" biology professor.



For you gourmets, the popcicle of choice this day was banana flavor!



After the fourth drug was administered, the nurse removed the IV. In another two weeks, I will repeat the procedure.


Judy and I sense the concern, competence, and love during our visits with Dr. Craig and his team. We have been blessed with such quality care. I shall keep you all updated on my progress. What a wonderful group which feels like friends and family! As you can see from my facebook pages, I have been receiving a plethora of good thoughts from you.


I would be remiss if I did not mention the caring and love that my good wife of 42 years brings into my life. Judy always holds my hand during life's adventures.


We left the Cancer Center after 4:00 P.M. and celebrated by having supper at one of our favorite Italian restaurants in Fairmont. Tis Muriale's and this eatery was listed last week as one of the 10 most unique places to dine in West Virginia.
http://www.murialesrestaurant.com/


We arrived home and placed many phone calls to family and friends. Judy and I hope this blog will provide you with an idea of how this chemo road is unfolding. Hugs to all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I believe the content matter here is rattling magnificent. I genuinely enjoyed reading this article. Thank you!cubicles in West Palm Beach

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home