Wednesday, September 24, 2008


Avian Mystery



This little bird hit our window and, thankfully, as with past window hits, it was only disorientated and made a full recovery. I was not familar with this warbler-like bird. After searching my field guides, I went to my Fallen Timber nature expert. I shipped the photos to Diana by email and she discovered that this gal was a female American Redstart!


The female American Redstart is olive brown with yellow flash patches on the wings and tail. This is the recovery rocker on the back porch where many disoriented birds have recuperated.

If it has been a male American Redstart then I may have identified it easier. The male is so different with black with bright orange patches on it's wings and tail. See below photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home