Thursday, June 18, 2009

ABVD #3 and GoBug

The butterfly weed above has been blooming profusely this week. The deer have also found it! (Hurry, my butterfly friends, before the deer transform the plants into a vast waste land - remember The Waste Land -1922-by T.S. Eliot? Twas not a favorite of mine. Gosh, from where is this stream of consciousness originating this morning? OK, I am now on track.)

I awoke around 4 A.M. to the sound of rain. It is great to hear, but hope it is not around too much for the Folk Festival is beginning today.

Yesterday, we had another adventure in chemotheraphy. It seems as if adriamycin, bleomycin, vinblastine, dacarbazine now roll off my tongue like I have known them for years.

We left from Sarah and Jeff's house around 9:00 AM to go to the Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center. Sarah asked if we might on our way pick up Jeff's Fathers Day present from Sam and Nate. No problem! We stopped by the Wamsley Cycle Shop at the Seneca Center in Morgantown and obtained his new GoBug! No- it is not a motivated critter with six legs! Tis a mode of transportation that fits onto Jeff's bike and will provide an exciting ride for Nate and Sam. The description of the beast is below.


http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/kids/trailers/gobug/




We examined the GoBug and marveled at the engineering and technology. It is extremely light weight, seats two little humanoids, and turns on a dime. The good salesman loaded Jeff's gift into our van and we were off to eat breakfast at Eat-n-Park.

After a small meal of eggs, bacon. sausage, potato pancakes, and French toast, we checked into the Cancer Center. The ole IV was inserted in the arm around noon. The infusion center was as enjoyable and painless as this area can be. I am one of the lucky guys. As the chemicals drip into my veins, I feel no nausea or other adverse side-effects. The nurses are smart, efficient, and extremely people friendly. The good Doctor Craig said I was doing extremely well. I will have my fourth infusion on July 1 (the day before our 42nd wedding anniversary) and then the next week I am scheduled for another PET scan. This will determine of any of the tumors are shrinking due to my ole friends ABD and V. Yes, friends, I stll have my pelage!!

Pelage is the zoology term for the hair, fur, wool, or other soft covering of a mammal. Had a haircut Tuesday and Regina, our hair technician, indicated that the ole pelage seemed intact and healthy. We shall see what other treatments have in store. This is the least of my worries! I am amused concerning how many of my friends ask "Are you losing your hair?" If I do, then you all will know what a sexy, bald headed, 63 year-old stud muffin looks like! (chuckle)

After the infusions, we ate at The Olive Garden. Our Ripley family mailed us a gift certificate to Red Lobster, but we decided to save it for the next infusion. At that time we can also celebrate our wedding anniversary. Am I having trouble eating? NO! Had a seafood pasta dish that was adorned with scallops, shrimp, mussels, and mushrooms in Alfredo sauce. Yummy.

Judy and I finished our meal and traveled to Bridgeport in order to deliver the GoBug. Before the presentation, Judy had to cuddle the sleeping cherub.

Sam had been in his inflatible pool. He is a bundle of energy. What joy Judy and I find in being granparents! When we see Flora, Lucy, Sam, and Nate, the glow of joy emitting from us should be obvious to all.


During the Fathers Day presentation of the GoBug, Jeff noticed that there was an extra surprise hiding inside!


Sam was the first to try out this new mode of transport.




Happy Father's Day to all you Dads.




Today will be busy as will this weekend. I shall try and post photos each day of the Festival. Should be a great event with a plethora of vendors, music, dance, and many other activities. Hope to see you there!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home