Monday, January 18, 2010





The Greenbrier Resort Mini-Vacation
Part Five


The indoor pool, constructed in 1912, offers year-round recreation amidst lovely canopies and colorful furnishings. The Olympic-size pool was remodeled in the late '40s by Dorothy Draper. That name should be starting to sound familiar!







Here is our lifeguard friend, Dana. Let me explain why she is such a friend.


Judy and I had planned to take a swim after the sleigh ride. Oh my, someone forgot his swim trunks. (ME!) Dana offered a loaner pair (size large). This pair did not work. There must have been a mistake in the sizing! We checked out the spa which sells swimwear. Hark, the prices were a little much for retired teachers - $115 for a delightful small swatch of fabric.


Judy and went back to the room to rest. As we were lying on our bed, Miss Judy said. "I have an idea!" (I have learned through the many delightful years that this means a probable adventure.) She explained that she could take my silver walking pants and cut off the legs. She could actually create designer swimming trunks! I may have reacted negatively to that suggestion and grumped something about not wanting to look like Jed Camplett at the Greenbrier.


Judy has a way of gently pursuading her husband (moi!). She used the "What Have I Gone Through In This Marriage Technique". She reminded me of all the things she has done in our marriage that may have initiated by me - including cave exploring in tight rock crevices, standing in the cage of a 16 foot python to remove eggs from her coils, raising a plethora of critters (hedgehogs, snakes and lizards - you get the idea), and the list can go on for hours. I finally came to the realization that I had no choice, so I sweetly said, "Of course, I will be most proud to swim in your creation!"
[What a fib!!! He did Not say that. Judy]




We were off to the pool with silver pants in hand. Dana supplied the scissors. In the room, Judy had previously calculated the correct length and marked it with her eyebrow pencil. The scissors were not the sharpest, and were used probably to pry things from the pool's skimmers. Judy went to work in the ladies dressing room and amputated the legs from the garment. She exited the dressing area and proudly said, "Here are your swimming trunks!"



I went into the men's dressing area (where one can find all necessary items such as hair dryers, swim suit water extractors, combs, creams, sprays, and other ammenities). I was walking to the pool and started to enter the warm waters when I saw these two ladies floating in the shallow end of the pool. They looked at me, smiled, and said, "My, we really like your new swim wear!" They were obviously in the ladies dressing area and saw Judy hacking off the legs of my pants!

I was so proud and responded to them in my Appalachian way. "Thank ya muchly. Granny, Elly Mae, and Jethro will be out in a second. Mr Drysdale woud have joined us, but he and Miss Jane are in the hot water area. I believe it is called the spa!"


Judy and I had a great time swimming. It was only because of her loving and gentle persuasive techniques that we had this aquatic adventure. Thanks, sweetheart.


The adventures continue in tomorrow's blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home