Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Busy Week Before The Thanksgiving Holidays!

Well, what a week! We attended the Create WV Conference held at Stonewall Jackson Resort on Tuesday and Wednesday. One of our Gilmer High School graduates as well as WV University, Jeff James, conducted the conference. It was exceptional. You may wish to check out the website.

The last of the week has also been equally as busy. Folk Festival meetings and baking were on the agenda. When I got out of bed yesterday morning, I noticed the ole radar screen indicating that we may get some snow.




I was excited, but, durn, only saw maybe three small snowflakes the entire day! One of the joys of retirement is that when it snows one can return to the cozy bed. Hurray, we do not have to wade through the snow to the place of employment ever again. The folks in the mountains at Canaan and Snowshoe did get 4 to 5 inches.

One of the crazy things is the color of the trees this fall. I believe the Forest Service is taking lessons from our friends at the weather forecast centers. I have often said that meterology is one of those professions where one can be consistently wrong in the forecast and still have a job. Earlier in the summer, the Forest Service indicated that the foliage this fall would probably be drab and turn brown quickly because of the drought and warm temperatures. Low and behold it has been a glorious season for fall colors. Note the photos below of the Burning Bush and the Japanese Maple in our backyard. Even in mid-November, they are displaying wonderful color. I listened to the news today and the Forest Service said that the brillant colors are due to the drought and warm temperatures. GO FIGURE!



I did mention that I completed some serious baking. Yesterday, I baked a couple of loaves of Amish Friendship Bread. Tonight I finished four loaves of rosemary French bread. These loaves - seen below- will be added to the gourmet fare serviced on Thanksgiving by daughter Sarah.

Best I retire for the evening. Sunday school calls at 10 A.M. You folks have a great Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home