Tuesday, August 11, 2009


Alderson, WV
This past weekend we were in Alderson with sister Judy and Grandma Great Meads to attend my Aunt Patty's funeral. She was married to Uncle Sam (Dad's brother).

I was born in Alderson on October 12th, 1946 just across the railroad tracks from the historic railroad depot shown above. The depot is located in the center of town on the Monroe County side.

The wonderful curved bridge is no longer used by vehicles, but is part of a city park. This walking bridge allows one to walk from Monroe County from Greenbrier County. The Greenbrier River is the demarcation line for the two counties. The Greenbrier River is a wonderfully picturesque waterway.





As mentioned, I was born on the Monroe County side of Alderson. My birth certificate indicates I was born in Greenbrier County! The doctor was probably drinking the Alderson "white lightning" at the time of my arrival! I know I have his forceps marks still obvious on my head. I was born at home and Grandma Great had a hard time during my delivery.

After the service, we had a great visit with Cousin Nancy and her family.

By the way, Alderson was the birthplace of Ada Beatrice Queen Victoria Louise Virginia Smith. A really famous lady that gets little attention these days. Will tell thee more tomorrow of this lady!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home