Sunday, May 13, 2012





HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!


I thought I would share our garden flowers as a gift to all Mom's.  I was thinking about Mother's Day and realized that we have never celebrated this day by going to Grafton. Anna Jarvis, on May 12, 1907, held a memorial to her mother and thereafter embarked upon a campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday. She succeeded in making this nationally recognized in 1914. The International Mother's Day Shrine was established in Grafton to commemorate her accomplishment.




I am certain Anna would love our foxgloves.  They are spectacular each year.  We are blessed to have a great population that reestablishes itself.  Our original foxgloves were transplanted from Helvetia in Randolph County.  The Helvetia plants were planted by a local physician in the 1800's in order that he would have a ready supply of digitalis.




It is iris time on Van Horn.  These showy blossoms are one of my favorites.  The smell brings back memories of my childhood.












The stone crop below is one of the joys of spring. The spiderworts are also blooming profusely with colors of white, blue, and pink.  The white is shown below.

 

I walked by this area and there hiding at the base of a lily was a blooming voodoo lily.  The same species that I blogged several weeks ago.

  

May you all have a great Mother's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home