Tuesday, October 06, 2009




October 1 and the "Big D"
Episode Two



Yesterday we left you with yours truly being transported to WVU's Ruby Memorial Hospital. I was loaded at Stonewall Jackson Hospital in Weston into a second ambulance that was owned by a private company. My two young (anyone under 60 is young these days) lady attendants fastened my body onto the stretcher (kind name for a water board) with duck tape (OK-I am kidding!- they were straps). I soon realized that even Route 33 with its curves was a piece of cake compared to the ride to Morgantown on the interstate!






Since it was Mountaineer football night in Mo-town, we were concerned that traffic would be congested. No problem - it was half-time when we entered that city. Anyone who was going anywhere had already got there.



Judy kissed me before we left Weston and told the young ladies who were now in charge of me that she would follow behind. I knew within the first five minutes that this was going to be impossible. Off we went up the interstate. I am not certain what technology they used to construct that particular ambulance, but I do know that shocks and any vibration inhibiting device was not a part of the plan. By some miracle, I kept the "Big D" in its containment area!




I would suggest to the military that they consider hiring these attendents. As soon as we were on the interstate, we were off like a ballastic missle and left poor Judy in the carbon laden exhaust of the emergency vehicle.



The sardine can -like interior groaned and started shaking. The vehicle seeed to be careening and vibrating so bad that I was holding with a death grip onto my stretcher. The lady in back said, "Don't worry - you won't fall out." I was really not too worried about falling from the back slab, but was primarily concerned with concussions and internal hemorrhages! I did not realize that the interstate could produce the same effects as traveling at high speeds on a country road full of potholes. Route 33 from Glenville to Weston on the Gilmer County ambulance was such a limousine ride compared to this Disney World Tower of Terror attraction.






My prayers were whirling in my mind at high speed and as if trying to keep up with the vehicle's velocity. This Presbyterian even called upon Saint Christopher, Patron of Safe Travel, for his blessing.






I tried to keep my mind busy thinking of other methods that would increase my chances of surviving the transport. I was even ready to try Canada's first ambulance that is shown below. I was. however, too far south to be transported by that unique mode.








I could think of no other alternatives - twas in the Lord's hands.


We did arrive safely in Morgantown before 10 P.M. I was extracted from the vehicle and moved into my room at 823 West in Ruby Memorial. The nurse in charge, Neil, was great as were all the other technicians and caregivers. Judy arrived shortly, and we were ready for Friday's tests and a meeting with the leader of our team, Dr. Michael Craig.


Episode three will continue this saga with a diagnosis of the "Big D"! Keep tuned in, my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home