Monday, October 05, 2009


October 1 and the "Big D"
Episode One

Ok- Here be another of life's adventures. Last Tuesday we had our friends Deb and Bruce out for supper. They brought fresh lima beans so before supper we shelled the beans. Had a nice visit- all was well.

The next morning I was feeling fine and ate the usual gourmet breakfast of cereal and coffee. I know this is a delicate subject, but I had a "touch" (as we say in Appalachia) of diarrhea. My good wife gave me Imodium and all was well. I know you are wondering why I am blogging this small uninteresting bit of trivia. Well, the plot thickens (or should I say loosens?).

Thursday I awoke to another equally fine bowl of cereal and then the body revolted. Nausea raced over me - the cereal was no longer in my tummy and the "touch" of diarrhea had been transformed into a full blown event. The "Big D" (Big Diarrhea) kept me on a continual path to the ceramic throne.



About late morning or early afternoon, I noticed a disturbing aspect of the "Big D" in that hemoglobin was making an appearance. (Blood - to you non-biology types)



We realized that the loss of blood through this site was not a good thing. I could never give blood because of the medications that I have taken throughout my life. This was not the way to donate blood! For some reason, the blood loss reminded me of a blood donor sign that I once observed!


A call to my oncologist, Dr. Craig, assured us that we needed to head to the nearest emergency room. Judy called 911 and within minutes the Gilmer County ambulance arrived with sirens and lights flashing. Our county is blessed with a fine ambulance service and equally dedicated, qualified, and professional EMS personnel. Wes Collins and Dean Delude were in charge of placing an IV into my left arm and getting me secured into their medical carriage. I was then off to Weston to get my blood tested to see if I needed to have a transfusion. If the blood was OK, the plan was then to be transferred to Ruby Memorial in Morgantown where Dr. Criag would supervise my medical treatments.


The Gilmer County ambulance traveled Route 33 - that serpentining trail from Glenville to Weston. Asking my emergency medical staff, "why do we not go by interstate?"- answer - Route 33 is shorter by 3.017 miles!!



The Gilmer County team quickly deposited (good choice of words) me in the ER of Stonewall Jackson Hospital. Blood was drawn and tested. An amiable ER doctor explained that my blood components were within normal limits so I would be transferred to WVU's Ruby Memorial Hospital as requested. He said that it would be good if he performed a digital exam. No problem. How did I know that his fingers were the size of keilbassa? OUCH!!!






My next medical transport arrived at the Stonewall Jackson Emergency Room. The next leg of our adventure will be in the next blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sondra said...

JIM MEADS, You are the funniest man I know! i love you and your stories! You are the best and Judy knew what she was doing when she picked you!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jim Meads said...

Sondra- I knew what I was doing when she picked me! (chuckle) Thanks for the comments! Love you all!

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home