Wednesday, October 07, 2009




October 1 and the "Big D"
Episode Three


Yes, I had GI bleeding and was taken to Weston then to Morgantown by the ambulance. (Refer to the last two previous blog postings) Upon entering room 823 West, I was immediately started on IV antibiotics.


I had some reading material that helped pass the time while waiting for meds and tests. The book below just did not keep my interest.




However, this fine piece of literature was most interesting. I have ordered the colonoscopy kit! (garden hose with attached maglight)


Friday was a CAT Scan type of day. Our excellent Doctor Craig was heading our care team. Dr. Bob Chawla was Dr. Craig's fellowship student, and also provided information and answered our questions. The 8th floor West nursing team was super. Neil was in charge upon my admission. Friday Nurse Vincent was the man of the hour. During the nighttime, Brian made certain that I was on track with meds, etc. Finally, Nurse Ray was wonderful. Out of the four male nurses that worked on that floor, I had the pleasure of receiving care from all of them. It is wonderful to see young and even seasoned (sorry, Ray) men doing a great job in the nursing profession.






Dr. Craig reported that the CAT Scan showed that my intestinal bleeding was the result of diverticulitis.





This is a good option - at least it was not cancer that had metastasized. Diverticulitis is the inflammation of a diverticulum (weakening of the intestinal wall which results in little pea sized pouches in the colon). These small pockets in the wall of the colon fill with stagnant fecal material and become inflamed.





I know it sounds gross, but fair readers rejoice in these statistics. The chance of you developing diverticula increases with age, so that by the age 50 between 20 to 50 percent of all people will have some diverticula, and by age 90 virtually everyone will. Happy news that diverticulosus is usually symptom free, so most people do not realize that they have it. NOT ME!!


I must say that once again my wife was a trooper. She stayed in the room with me during the duration of my treatment and had an exotic recliner on which to sleep. What a wonderful life mate! (I know you have heard that before and will hear it again and again in the future).







She did go out on Saturday evening to do some shopping. We had to leave quickly from home so she was running out of clothes. Yes, she brought me back a surprise - Fruit of the Loom underwear. How romantic! Guess all of your Moms told you about the necessity of wearing clean underwear!





I was changed over to oral antibiotics (Levaquin and Flagyl). On Sunday afternoon we were discharged and off to the big city of Glenville. Thanks again to the good wife and Dr. Craig for leading the Meads Team!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home