Thursday, October 22, 2009





ABVD Chemotheraphy Completed!

The Cane!



Yesterday (10/21/09) I received the last in the series of ABVD infusions ( 12 of 12) designed to eradicate my Hodgkin's lymphoma. As you all know the toxic chemicals that have been placed in my veins for the past five months miraculously have created no serious side effects on this arthritic body. I have had some hair thinning, but very minimal. No nausea ever is the good news!

Wow, have I ever been blessed with family and friends support during this period! I have had the best team of professional caregivers, nurses, physician assistants, and doctors imaginable. Dr. Michael Craig is the most amazing onocologist/hemotologist. He has now become such an important member of our family and will continue to track my remission. I will have my first followup PET/CT scan during the last of January, 2010.


It is such a great life and, throughout my sixty three years, I have had continual blessings. Judy and I have had a multitude of experiences that have created new friends and adventures. This day was no different.


We checked into the Mary Baab Randolph Cancer Center in Morgantown around 9:30 AM. As we waited for our infusion room, a couple arrived and sat in front of us. We noticed he was carrying this fancy cane. As your probably know, I am a cane and walking stick collector. Judy started the conversion with, "What a neat cane"!


The gentleman said that his hobby is making canes and all are unique. The couple explained their circumstances and why they were here this day. He had been diagnosed with an agressive cancer seven years ago. He has had many battles with the disease and its effects on his body, but managed to survive those conflicts. The cancer has now returned and he was told that the cancer has spread to many vital areas and that the diagnosis is grim (only a couple of months left in this world). He was starting a new round of chemotheraphy this day.


He and his wife were so charming. He is such a robust looking fellow. You could feel the love and caring radiating from this couple.


I explained that this was my last infusion of ABVD. He looked at us and said, "Here, this cane is yours"! After some discussion, we humbly accepted his gift and it is now in a place of honor is our collection. I have attached my last ABVD hospital admission wrist band and our "The Meads Team" lymphoma bracelet to the cane. You guys can now take off the Meads wristbands to celebrate this occasion. It certainly gave me a wonderful uplift to see "The Meads Team" bracelets worn throughout these past months by family and friends.


As I write this blog, I am so full of joy and appreciation for life. What an exciting and wonderful world Miss Judy and I are experiencing! Thanks to our new cane making friends and their gift of love. And many thanks to you all once again for your strength and support!

4 Comments:

Blogger Margie Smith said...

Hey Meads Family,
I am so glad to hear Jim is well again. Keep up blogging, I am a peeper!!
lol Margie, Gilmer Public Library

8:27 AM  
Blogger Jim Meads said...

Hi Ms. Margie!

I love it that you check out the blog. I enjoy doing it and it makes me feel super that folks are interested in our family's adventures! I am doing great. Did a plethora of work today. Energy level high- HURRAY! Thanks again for checking. Jim

4:56 PM  
Blogger wildwoodflower said...

Hey there!

I have to tell you once again how much I enjoy your blog. Your sense of humor and your zest for life cheers me on a blue day. :))))

Sandy Rose

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jim Meads said...

Thanks Sandy!

You are appreciated

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home