Friday, March 30, 2007


















There's a Snake In The .......

No, there is not a snake in the grass but actually in the mulch! I am a mulching fool in the spring. I looked down and here, enjoying my new layer of cypress, was a garter snake. You know I especially have an affection for reptiles and amphibians. This critter watched me closely. I left to get the camera and he stayed in order that I could have this photo opportunity for you all. (Sure, I am certain that snake knew he was waiting for the camera to be retrieved.)

Garters rely primarily upon sight when hunting, "hearing" (sensing ground vibrations), taste and smell, the latter two combined in use with the Jacobson's organ located in the in roof of the mouth. They are quite agile, a trait which also enables them to successfully capture prey. They encounter their prey while moving through their territory during the cooler parts of the day--early morning, late afternoon and early evening.




















This garter snake exhibited his beautiful tongue, which is bright red with a tip of black. He is smelling the fresh ginger that is emerging through the mulch layer.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home