Wednesday, February 28, 2007


Last of February, Elkins, and Toyger!

Oh where, oh where, did February go? This is the last day of the month. Look out Julius Caesar- the ides of March will be here soon! March is always a great month because it opens up the door for the spring flowers. Our aconites are blooming, but our annual stink lilies are really slow this year. See past posting regarding stink lilies (Amorphophallus).

Yesterday my good wife attended a quilting workshop in Elkins. It was held at her favorite sewing shop, The Elkins Sewing Center on Davis Avenue. (
http://www.elkinssewingcenter.com/) I was a good husband and did my list of chores for the day – checked about the possibility of the Folk Festival paper being published by the good folks at the Elkins newspaper (Inter-Mountain), tried to locate our favorite gumbo mix (no luck).

While waiting for the wife, I stopped by one of my favorite coffee shops, Kissel Stop, located just a block from the Train Depot. I was sipping my cup of café americano and thinking of all the great experiences that I have had in this region. As we entered town, we passed an outcropping on the side of the road which has been the site of many field trips. This area is full of fine brachiopod fossils like the one pictured above. It was easy for students to find a great fossil in a short amount of time.

I thought also about Bowden Cave located just outside of town. What a great learning resource for our science students! This area is the source of many great adventures in my life.

My concentration was broken when I looked down at the table. There was a copy of the Life Weekend Magazine for February 23rd. On the cover was a wonderful picture of a Toyger. What is a Toyger you ask? I will answer that in tomorrow’s entry. Enjoy your last day of February 2007.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lee Kraus said...

"brachiopods survive largely in fringe environments of more extreme cold and depth." - wikipedia

Yeh, this is Elkins. :)

I also wanted to say that as a kid who was actually in that cave with you, it was a memory that I will never forget. We put the map of cave up on the family room wall and talked about how we had risked our lives for such an adventure. I particularly remember a certain cooridor where it was so narrow you had to turn your shoulders to get through and the there was water on the floor. I'm not sure how I would react as an adult (probably no wifi in the cave) but as a kid it was a great adventure.


Picture

This is a flickr picture of a recent group in the cave.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Jim Meads said...

Yes, Lee!
The passage you are talking about is the water passage. It is narrow and, at this time in my life, I would have to have oil and a big shoehorn in order to even try to navigate that region!
Thank you for being a part of my memories!
Jim

7:12 PM  
Blogger Dr. Sarah Dodson said...

Hmmm...I don't remember that passage being that small. (Maybe because I was...maybe 5 years old!) I do remember being so excited to find all the slimy mud at the end of the cave passage. I think that today people would pay big bucks to soak in that mud.
I also remember being required to wear a glow stick around my neck so that mom and dad could quickly locate us. Lee and Dad, you ready to go back?!?!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Dr. Sarah Dodson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Dr. Sarah Dodson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home