Monday, May 15, 2006













Premium Nest Fodder?

For the past week a strange occurrence has been happening on our back porch. As you can see that when I sit in the rocker and sip Highlander Grogg coffee, my hairy legs are exposed in their glory.

The first event occurred last Monday as I watched a tufted titmouse fly to the edge of the porch. The bird watched me with great interest. It immediately flew to my shoes and started pulling on my wool socks. The bird did not stop there but then began pulling the hairs of my legs. Yes, my avian friend was intent on extracting my leg hairs. He even left little bill marks on my legs.

The bird repeated this process throughout last week. As soon as the bird discovered that I was sitting on the porch, the avian hair extractor would fly to me and then pull the hairs from my legs. The bird would even climb my legs trying to discover new unexplored territory and would end up sitting on my knee! I am not certain what is the stimulus for this behavior. The bird has certainly not gotten sufficient material to build a quality Meads leg hair nest!

My good wife watched this process and was amazed at the tenacity of this bird in wanting to pull my hairs. We love to watch the birds. I give my wife a hard time and when the tufted titmouse arrives I say, “Here comes the crested nipple rat!” I know- I have a strange sense of humor!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home