Tuesday, July 26, 2005

My Snake Adventure! - Part Three

The saga contines from the previous two postings.

I cleaned up the musk and found on the floor under a cabinet a dead bird and a rat. Where in the world did they come from? At once I realized the stark truth. That stupid snake had eaten the study skins that the Vertebrate Zoology kids in my class had prepared as part of their requirements. (Remember - study skins when completed are skins stuffed with cotton - wires inside for support- and borax as a dehydrating agent.) A closer inspection had revealed that these specimens were at one time in the snake’s tummy.

The python obviously had regurgitated them (slimy appearance of study skins proved my theory correct.). I was amazed as he was able to expel them as they have thick wires sticking out of the skins. The vertebrate students had positioned about twenty skins on a board for drying in that room - we are now down to 18 study skins.

After a closer inspection, I realized the wonderful study skin of a rabbit was missing. (Now down to 17 study skins!!) Yesterday, the student had done such a wonderful job of completing the task that I commented, “Wow, it really is good! Looks so natural.” Right! Obviously the snake thought so too. At this time, the snake has a cotton tail rabbit (and cotton inside) in his belly. I am not running him off to the zoo emergency room, but will see if the stomach acids are as strong as everyone says. If not, is anyone looking for snake check covers? OK, now I’m getting a bit depressed... not only have my students’ projects been swallowed, partially digested, and then thrown up - but one is still in the snake! Snake is still looking happy - can not see a look of constipation of his face.

(Tomorrow the conclusion of My Snake Adventure!)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home