Monday, July 25, 2005

My Snake Adventure! - Part Two

My first part of this tale described my Burmese python escaping from his habitat in the Vertebrate Zoology lab. The story now continues. Another installment tomorrow!

I immediately went to the task of cleaning. It is now 6:00 A.M. (Genetics class at 8:00 ) and I may have time for a fast coffee and a MacDonald’s biscuit if all goes well. The lady custodian left and said she would find something to put the glass in. After she left, I decided this was the time to place this twelve-foot python in his cage. Should be an easy job - have done it before - millions of times - yep, a snap!

I moved the freezer from the wall and grabbed the snake’s tail. At a speed of 120 miles per hour that durn snake took off and before I knew what had happened it was crawling into the FREEZER. Yes, you say how could this be? Well. friends, let me tell you there was an opening in the back of the freezer that led to a chamber that held the compressor, wires, etc. Snake disappeared into this dark recess. Now I have a snake in the freezer.

I have to take the freezer apart – certainly can not leave him in there. Jean appears at the door. She is returning with the box for disposing of the broken glass. She says “Where is the snake?” I said calmly, “Oh, I put the critter in a bag until I get the cage cleaned.” Oh no!! I lied - again! It, however, is not good to have a snake stuck in a hole three inches from her leg and tell her the truth. She smiled secure in the knowledge that all was well and went off to do her work.

Not known as a master carpenter, I tackled the job with screwdriver in hand. Carefully removing the panels, I discovered the snake. One might say he was really ‘pissed off” (The good wife hates that expression but thought it may be appropriate here.) I was now dealing with a snake from Hell! I grabbed my snake stick and poked at the sucker until he decided to extract himself from the compressor. As he slithered out, I managed to grab his tail.

As most of you know a snake has a wonderful defense mechanism. They expel a vile liquid from their rear end called MUSK. Yep, it smells- and this snake was upset. How do I know?? A quantity (perhaps five gallons!! I may be exaggerating a bit.) of musk was ejected from his cloaca effectively covering my ventral side. It is now 6:34 A.M. and I am smelling like quality musk and have a very angry snake - biting anything that moved. No problem!

I wrestled the beast -(Jungle Jim Fowler would have been proud of me and even Marlin Perkins!) pulling on his muscular body in an unarthritic­-like manner. The snake is trying to get his body under anything that was near. Finally I arrived, by some miracle, at the cage’s door. I threw the long reptile up in the air and body slammed him into the cage. (Physically have no idea how I did this since this guy is heavy. ) The door closed. Heart poundin! Do I call 911? No, guess not - no chest pains! OK, I now have things under control. Right? (WRONG!!!!)


(Read more of this adventure in tomorrow's posting.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home