Saturday, July 23, 2005

My Snake Adventure!- Part One

There are many stories in one's teaching experience that need to be shared. I have several books in me and ,hopefully, may get to the writing and publishing in my other life! In the next few days, I will post a story that should be included in my book of biology teaching stories. Hope you enjoy this adventure. (This a request from my tech. buddy, Lee.)

It was in the Spring of 1997. I went to bed at the normal time. The good wife was in Parkersburg that night visiting her mother. I was sleeping soundly when the phone rings at 5:20A.M. Well of course the first thought is who died? Another possibility - perhaps the emergency team is calling to evacuate the town from incoming meteor showers from the Hale-Bopp comet. No, that was not the case!

It was Jean, the lady custodian from the college. She is in charge of cleaning the Science Hall. “Mr. Meads, I hate to wake you, but there is a problem with your big python. It has escaped and made a huge mess in the storage room”. I said untruthfully, Oh, no problem. I just stepped out of the shower". At once I realized how the snake got out... I LEFT THE DURN CAGE OPEN!! “Have no fear?” I said, “Snake catcher Jim is on his way.” As some of my readers realize that this has happened once before. It is becoming more difficult to remember since reaching 50 years and brain cells started dying! Yep, I was feeding the twelve-foot Burmese python and I just forgot to lock the cage door.

After a fast shower (amazing for an arthritic fellow) and a quick donning of my clothes, I was off on THE MISSION. Arriving at the Science Hall, I saw Bud, the other Science Hall custodial staff person, holding a big club. He heard glass breaking and thought the science building was being robbed. He was ready for them and was going to thump them on the anterior end with this large piece of xylem (tree stem)! Jean, however, discovered that the snake was missing from the cage and was pushing off a plethora of glass jars onto the floor as the ole reptile slithered across the shelves. TIME 5:35 A.M.


I quickly inspected the scene. The python had not only made a mess with broken glass, but had also thrown on the ground a stuffed owl and a model of the male reproductive system. After close inspection of the model, I realized that all was fine except for one important part was absent - THE PENIS!! No time to look for the penis now! I have to clean up broken glass. I found the snake behind the freezer just seemingly enjoying all of the activity. My thought was to leave the sucker there until the cleanup job is completed.


(Story will be continued on the next posting.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home