Friday, March 23, 2012

We Are Back!

We know you missed us the last two weeks. Here is the story.

On Thursday, March 8, I did a little stumbling
on the path of life. This has been an outstanding month for sun, great temperatures, and flowering plants. On that day I worked three hours in the morning transplanting irises by the rock garden on the side of the house.
I was very tired and sat in the rocker on the back porch to rest. While relaxing, I looked up to see a place where just one more iris needed to be planted. I am more like my Mom ever day. When I am doing a project, sometimes I do not know when to stop. That was exactly the case two weeks ago.

I arose from the rocker and was off to plant the last iris. Lo and behold, I stumbled on the large rock seen below.

Down I went and landed on my right shoulder.

I screamed (in a most manly way). Judy immediately ran from the basement to see what tragedy had befallen her love. Lying with the stone at my feet. Thankfully, I did not fall turned 180 degrees with the rock as my headstone. Miss Judy arrived with pillows and blankets in hand so I might roll, get on my knees, and extract myself from the flower garden.

Within a few seconds, it was obvious that I had damaged myself and that I could not arise from the vegetation.

The old geriatric commercial, "Help, I've fallen and can't get up! " came to mind immediately. The good wife assessed the situation and ran into the house and called the Senior Citizens Center. Within minutes two fellows showed up and helped me to become vertical once again. OUCH!

Judy and I discussed our plan of action. We decided that we would go to the Emergency Room at United Hospital Center in Bridgeport. We had to be in Bridgeport on Friday to take care of our grandsons, so the choice seemed the logical one.

The accident happened around 11:30, but we did not head up the road until mid-afternoon. Had to pack and shower (certainly can not go to the ER all muddy!). Then up the interstate we traveled.

It started to rain around Roanoke. Bang! The windshield wipers malfunctioned and locked together like dragonflies mating. We called our friends at H and M motors in Weston and said we were on the way in for help. As they fixed the wipers, my H and M friends had to come out and see what a one-armed gardener looked like. They fixed the widow wipers in a most timely manner and we were back on the interstate.

Arriving around 3:30 P.M. at UHC, we found the facility's personnel to be very efficient. I was taken into the ER and within a few minutes and had an X-ray of the shoulder. The doc was very professional. He proudly proclaimed (well, maybe confidently instead of proudly) that indeed the right humerus was shattered. I had managed to break the head of the humerus in several places, including both the greater and lesser tuberosities. The doc said that there was nothing to do except let it heal. I received a sexy blue sling. Off to the Dodson household to show the grandsons my boo boo! I was able to see Dr. Dukas, the orthopedic doctor the next day. We found him to be a very caring and professional lad. The granddaughters arrived on Saturday to be equally impressed with Grandpa's wounded wing.

That is my story. Should be back on line more regularly now. Thank you all for your patience. It has been two weeks and arm is mending. I will see Doctor Dukas in April. I am certain that at that time he will declare me healed.