Thursday, April 29, 2010




Another Adventure In Titmouse Land



You may recall that several years ago I posted a blog about the crazy titmouse who, as I was sitting on the porch, would fly over to my feet and then proceed to pull hairs out of my legs! Our guess is that she thought it would make wonderful nesting material.


The other day I went outside and walked off the deck to the pond. Judy heard me bellowing! I was startled when a titmouse landed on my back and started flopping. Guess its claws where stuck in the fabric of my sweatshirt.


I brushed the bird away and it flew on the porch and landed by the back door. Judy came running and I said check out your bird that just flew from my shoulder. She picked up the frightened titmouse and placed it on the railing of the deck. Judy and I relaxed in our chairs for a few minutes all the time watching the bird recover. We gently talked to it and it seemed unaffected by our presence.


THEN IT HAPPENED!


As we were talking sweetly to our new feathered friend, a second titmouse (obviously a male) swooped down and threw our new found bird on the floor of the deck! They were locked in an embrace that obviously was a mating act! Off they then both flew to the forest.


OK- did the first titmouse fall out of the sky during mating and land on my shoulder? (What is the percentage of possibility that this event may happen?) Did I look like a big titmouse and found myself being an innocent victim? Was I a safe haven for the female as she was being pursued by the male? Oh, the questions! Guess we will never know the reason behind this avian adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home