Saturday, March 27, 2010

Shepherdstown


A Walk In The Park



It was such a beautiful weekend. The girls wanted to walk and play in the park across from the house.



Below is a favorite lady of ours, Cate Johnson, who used to live next door to Rachael and John on Mill Street in Shepherdstown. She and her husband, Mark, now live in Morgantown. Cate and Mark are very caring friends!




As we were taking the picture, who should surprise us by coming quickly down the slide? Twas Lucy, of course! Lucy is quite the character.


On the porch she climbed upon my lap and said, "Grandpa, I love you." This always makes a grandpa's heart melt. She then started rubbing my hair with her little hand. (I have always said that in the next life I want to return as a cat since I love to be patted and scratched.) I thought - Wow, I will start early in training Lucy on the methods of head scratching. I said, "Lucy, check out grandpa's ear". I know - this was a deceptive technique to get my ear scratched!

Well, truth is that this request backfired on me. As she was checking out my ear, Lucy stretched the lobe toward her and yelled at the top of her voice - "Hello down there!" My brain bounced in it's cranial case. I chuckled because I had asked for this verbal onslaught into my auditory canal.



Here is Harper who now lives next door. He is a bundle of energy.





I heard the girls say that they want to go to the monument to see the new puppy. The play ground leads directly into the Rumseyan Mounument Park. Here Flora and Lucy found their new friend, who, indeed, happened to have a new pug puppy.




As you know, the Rumseyan Monument Park is actually a two acre park honoring James Rumsey, inventor of the steamboat, and was placed overlooking a bend in the Potomac River where the first successful test of Rumsey's steamboat took place in 1787. The monument and base was constructed in the early 1900's for a cost of around $15,000.



Rachael and Mom is sharing a monumental Rumseyan hug!


The geology and hydrology of Shepherdstown is very interesting. This rock outcropping makes a fine accent in monument park.


As we looked over the wall separating the park from the Potomic River, the bloodroots were in full bloom.



Upon returning home from the park, we were met by Flora and Lucy's new kitten, Rascal.



It was a fine day once again. Spring is definitely here. The Siberian squill was popping their heads out from the side of the walk.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home