Thursday, May 21, 2009



ABVD Update

Ok, folks I will update you on our new life adventure. (See yesterday's blog - Irises and ABVD) We arrived at the Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center at WVU in Morgantown (Facility shown above). I can not say enough about the quality and organization of the cancer team that is in control of my Hodgkin's lymphoma. What a great team and facility!


Staging is over. Staging is how doctors judge the extent of Hodgkin's Lymphoma, which will likely affect your treatment options.


Stage I. The cancer is limited to one lymph node region or a single organ.

Stage II. In this stage, the cancer is in two different lymph nodes, but is limited to a section of the body either above or below the diaphragm.

Stage III. When the cancer moves to lymph nodes both above and below the diaphragm, but hasn't spread from the lymph nodes to other organs, it's considered stage III.

Stage IV. This is the most advanced stage of Hodgkin's disease. Stage IV Hodgkin's disease affects not only the lymph nodes but also other parts of your body, such as the bone marrow or your liver.



After reviewing my bone marrow biopsies and PET scan, it was obvious to Dr. Michael Craig that I am in Stage III of my disease. Bone marrow was thankfully clear of the disease. My theory is that if you have a new adventure in life, why fool with Stages I and II.

I did so well today with my first chemotherapy infusions (ABVD). Will keep you updated as to hair loss (most likely) and other adventurous side effects - nausea, etc. I plan on having none of these, but we shall see.

Judy and I are soo blessed! Friends and family have been amazing. Life is good!

I have had to stop my biological drugs that controlled my arthritis - Enbril and Methotrexiate - since one theory is that they may have been the initial cause of my lymphoma. Ouch! The arthritis symptoms returned! One welcome side effect of the ABVD chemotherapy is that the symptoms of my rheumatoid arthritis will be most likely be resolved until my 6 months of the ABVD therapy has been concluded. The immunosuppressant chemicals may keep the RA in check. I will have infusions every two weeks. (Takes around 3 hours to complete.)



Judy and I are tired this evening, but it is so strange. We have met so many medical researchers and care givers today who were wonderful. Judy looked over at me after supper and asked how I feel. The only response is that I feel so much joy. Who would have thought that a diagnosis of Stage III Hodgkin lymphoma would produce no fear and such peace? I truly believe that I am not in denial, but I am expecting this adventure to be as blessed and exciting as our past lives have been together.

We realize there will be bumps on this path, but we always hold hands, hug, and continue onward. I will report to you all every now and then, but will not bore you with overdoses of medical facts. (BY THE WAY, did you know that the A in ABVD stands for Adriamycin and it is bright red? When it is infused, one can cry red tears and, of course, have a beautiful red hue to the urine. OK - enough - no more! As our friend Diana says , "THE END.")


3 Comments:

Blogger Granny Sue said...

You amaze me with your strength and humor. I have never met anyone who considered a diagnosis like this as an adventure. You will do very well, I am certain, because you bring such energy and a positive attitude to it. Thank you for sharing your journey.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Jim Meads said...

I have been so blessed in this life. We will hug at the Festival. I am a great believer in the power of the hug.

Jim

12:43 PM  
Blogger ashley said...

My husband went through the same, stage 2...diagnosed June 2009. He is 2 yrs cancer free! Hang in there!!! Keep your great attitude and know that you are in good hands!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home