Sunday, October 23, 2005




Helvetia

It was a great fall day. As I drove the winding road, crimson leaves were scurrying across the road in front of me. I had just visited Pickens School. Returning from Pickens, you go through the wonderful Swiss hamlet of Helvetia. Authentic Swiss traditions are well-represented in the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia. At one time there were three Swiss colonies in Randolph County: Helvetia, Adolph, and Alpena. These were established in the late 1800's. Helvetia, first settled in 1869, is the most isolated, and the community still carries on Swiss traditions brought over by the original settlers including farming, foodways, music, dance, and festivals.

The rich cultural heritage of the Swiss in Helvetia has been well-documented, and numerous activities throughout the year continue to bring these activities to the public. Swiss foods, furniture, songs, and proverbs are all part of this rich heritage. Fasnacht, a Mardi Gras celebration and costume ball, is held the Saturday before Ash Wednesday. A community fair features a parade to commemorate the procession of cows down from the Alps at Summers end. The Helvetia Folkdancers exemplify Swiss cultural influence in music and dance. Bruce Betler is a most talented local fellow. The wife and I took a yodeling workshop from Bruce. He yodels marvelously. We still sound as if chickens are being strangled!

Food is an important aspect of the traditional lifestyle in Helvetia of which cheese making was at one time an important activity. (Helvetia also has a great ramp festival in April.) I stopped at one of my favorite places to eat. Eleanor Mailloux has operated the Helvetia Hutte Restaurant for decades. We have stayed in her Bee Keeper’s Inn - truly a wonderful taste of the past. The food that Eleanor prepares is superb. In addition to the great gourmet offerings, her unique charm permeates the valley.

As I was eating, a couple came into the restaurant, which is decorated with local antiques. They wanted to see Eleanor Mailloux (pronounced MAY WHO). Eleanor introduced herself. Seems this fellow was from Germany and Eleanor had stayed with his family while she was in that country. The man was the 12th of 12 children and his father is still living in Germany and will be 107 years old on November 2nd. He still lives by himself. As I was eating my lunch, I wondered if the spices in this meal would extend my life and, if I had not had a vasectomy, would I have had a dozen kids? Strange thought as I devoured the last of the fried potato fritter.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home