Thursday, September 08, 2005



Snakes and Salesmen

Here is another old article that was in the Jackson Herald in Ripley. I taught Biology at Ripley High School from 1968 – 1972. It was a great experience. Gosh, it is interesting to see me as I was in my early twenties. I had no silver hair and was just a little more trim (Did I say, “a little more”?)! This old article states:

Boa Constrictor Is Ripley Teacher’s Pet

Unusual Pet – James H. Meads, Ripley High School biology teacher, is seen in the above photo with his pet boa constrictor which he purchased last October in Philadelphia to use in his classroom instruction. The snake, which has been names “Zable”, is said non-poisonous, harmless, and tame.

I have a few thoughts about this article. First, I must have purchased the snake in October as my birthday gift! Yes, the good wife always says that I go out and buy my own birthday presents. Guess she may be correct. Secondly, it is always interesting to see how folks react to snakes. In the late sixties, the keeping of snakes was not as common as it is today and snake keepers were viewed as “very peculiar”. I always love the question that I used to get when I placed a large snake on my shoulders. “Is this snake poisonous?” I would think the answer would be obvious when I am holding it with head free and obviously it is free to roam around me! The article says the snake was tame! Tame is a relative term when it comes to reptiles. They are wild animals and one has to be constantly aware of their behavior.

Zable was an interesting snake. We lived in a mobile home in Ripley and had limited room. My Dad built a nice cage for Zable with lights, Plexiglas front, and paneling. The only place that we could easily fit was in the bathroom beside the ceramic throne.

Zable came in handy one day when a salesman came to the door. He said that we would get a free gift if he could have 5 minutes of my time. He was persistent and I was young and naïve. He was selling photo packages that started at $400 dollars with leather frames. I said I was not interested. He proceeded to then present cheaper packages and other combinations at varying prices. After 40 minutes of this presentation, I had enough! I hate to be rude so I excused myself and proceeded to go to the bathroom, placed Zable around my neck, and then returned to the living room. I then sat on the couch and continued to listen to his spiel. Well, I should say the spiel stopped quickly when the fellow looked at Zable. The salesman immediately started placing all his materials, that were strewn over the carpet, into his cases. Within 2 or 3 minutes the fellow was escaping out the door. He thanked me for my time as he ran to his car. Yes, sometimes reptiles really come in handy! By the way, we did not get a free gift from him - except the memory of his terrified face and his frantic removal from our abode.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home