Tuesday, December 01, 2009



The Tea Party
Grandma - Guest Writer


There are few occasions more delightful than a proper tea with friends. This was a three-generation party with daughter Rachael and granddaughters Flora (7) and Lucy (3).

One can slurp a cup of coffee with a doughnut or chug milk with a peanut butter sandwich, but hot tea served in a beautiful cup can become an occasion for sticking out your pinky finger and letting yourself be transported to some place special.

We put the water on to boil for our mint tea, covered the table with a pretty cloth, and gathered up the serving pieces. I should note here that these china pieces are part of Grandma's collection and are usually off-limits to little hands.

My post-party reflection makes me realize that more than three generations were at the table. (I refer to others here as they relate to Flora and Lucy.) Great Grandma Meads made the cloth edged in a wide ruffle. Great-Great Grandma Benton's cake stand held the chocolates and sugar cookies shaped like leaves, acorns, turkeys, and pumpkins. The blue paisley tea set was a wedding gift from Great Aunt Betty and Great Uncle George. Our serving plates had belonged to Great Grandma Musgrave.

Each granddaughter chose her favorite cups and saucers for herself and for her guests at the table - the teddy bear, doll, cat, and rabbit.


Now the table was ready, but we looked pretty ordinary. To get us in the mood, I brought out my box of scarves and shawls. Flora was partial to the sparkly gold shawl.


Lady Flora told us many stories of adventures in her country manor in England. Of course, we knew where she lived. Her uppercrust British accent gave her away. Lady Flora's larger cup belongs to a hand-painted set given to me by her parents. As a girl, I used to play "tea party" with the smaller china cup and saucer.

Grandma pours for Flora.



Should I keep the flapper scarf look?



Lady Lucy found her scarf and shawl to be too restricting after about forty-five seconds.
She wanted the tiniest tea set, a gift to me from her parents, on the table. The lid to the sugar bowl is about the size of the end of Lucy's little finger. Lucy especially liked the chocolates.

Daughter Rachael is ready to pass the cookies.



After about an hour of talking and taking our tea and sweets, Flora noted that perhaps we should have some "solid food," so we added cheese and crackers and peanut butter sandwiches cut into star shapes - no crusts for us. I must add that not a cup nor tiny lid was broken.



What a joy to pretend!
Love to Flora, Lucy, and Rachael


1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Hardman said...

Hi Jim and Judy. On this very snowy day in Spencer, I am enjoying one of my favorite pasttimes: blog-reading. What a delight to find this one about your autumn tea party! This reminds me of the times that Judy & I had tea in England. Love, Susan

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home