Thursday, December 27, 2007


Amaryllis

On Christmas day the amaryllis that I planted in the kitchen bloomed. I took these photos on the porch so the sunlight would bring out the vivid red of the flower. I love the red and white varigated varieties. When I look at this blossom, I think that the spring flowers can not be far away. (OK- I know it is just the starting of the winter season!)

The modern bulb most commonly known and sold as the Amaryllis is really a Hippeastrum. This cumbersome name has been rejected by bulb growers, and in retail stores you will not see colorful boxes labeled in large letters with the appellation Hippeastrum.

The Amaryllis name usually refers to the Amaryllis Belladonna, one of the progenitors of the current Hippeastrum crop imported by Dutch growers. The major Dutch breeders have spent the last two centuries hybridizing these specimens to bring us the flower we know and love. Today's cultivars have stalks ranging from about 12" to 24" with each stalk having four to six flowers. Typically, a bulb will produce two stalks in a blooming season. With care, these bulbs will bloom every year for many years.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home