Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Trees, Poop, Nachos, and Tai Cuisine!

Sometimes I think I need to get out more into the world away from our small hamlet of Glenville. Here is a case in point. Last week I presented a chemistry in-service in New Martinsville. Traveling through the country I noticed several interesting sights. First there was a trailer along the road that was certainly distinctive. The yard was adorned with a plethora of ceramic figures, but what attacked my eyes were the trees! The trees were not whitewashed with the usual lime and water solution, but the owner had used a chartreuse paint. Yes, every tree base was adorned with this brilliant greenish yellow stain. Along another ridge top I noticed a house whose family obviously had a sewage removal service. There parked in the yard were two tank trucks with huge letters adorning the sides of each tank. The first tank was labeled “Poop 1”, and, you guessed it the other was “Poop 2”. It does not take a lot to impress me.

I arrived at the motel in fine shape and asked the lady at the front desk, “Where is your favorite place to eat?” She responded with, “The Mexican restaurant- turn left at the first stop light and it is in the shopping plaza.” For you folks that have been married as long as we have, it seems peculiar to eat by oneself. I usually find a newspaper to read so I picked up a complementary copy of USA Today and I was off to devour refried beans and rice!


Many years ago I had a Mexican food adventure when I arrived at San Padre Island off the Texas coast. I was once again by myself attending a Marine Biology training session. I checked into the motel and ordered from the restaurant a large Nacho Supreme. My plan was to take it to the motel room. With my Nachos Supreme in hand, I exited the motel’s restaurant. A huge gust of wing blasted me and the Nachos flew up into the air. What I saw before me were BMW’s and other expensive cars decorated with cheese and salsa! I immediately went to my room and prayed for rain.

Back to my New Martinsville adventure. Turning into the plaza, I found the restaurant. A large sign on the front said “No checks! No Credit Cards! Open at 6 P.M.” Well it was 5 and, not wanting to wait until 6, I decided to check out my options! Hurray, I noticed a Tai restaurant in the same plaza. Judy and I love to sample different foods and this was opportunity to experience exotic dishes from Southeast Asia. I parked the car and entered the restaurant. There was a long hallway with a receptionist at the end. She was very pleasant and she said, “How may I help you?” I said, “A table for one, please”. She looked at me in a strange manner and then smiled and said, “Sorry, we are a martial arts studio!” Ok, the neon sign on the door did say “Tae Kwon-Do”. I guess I was thinking “Tai Kwon-Doughnuts”! You see what happens when I leave the wife at home?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home